”Don’t live to please others. Above all please yourself, and the world will be pleased by your genuineness.”
With less than one week until Christmas I decided to continue with the Christmas theme.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year. Nevertheless, it’s easily a busy and stressful time. This year, when you’re buried in to-do’s try to remember to be more present, more mindful. A study by Oxford University shows that ‘being mindful not only reduces stress but also gently builds an inner strength so that future stressors have less impact on our happiness and physical well-being.’
So more sitting in front of the Christmas tree sipping on hot chocolate, and less worrying about all the things that needs to be done. Nothing needs to be done, except from spending time with loved ones.
How to have a mindful Christmas
- First thing in the morning; make yourself a nice cup of coffee and sit in stillness for 15 minutes with the Christmas lights on, preferably in front of the Christmas tree. A calm and peaceful way to start the day.
- Put your comfiest clothes on, snuggle up in the coach with ginger bread cookies and your better half. Play a Christmas movie in the background, and share your biggest dreams for 2018.
- Which things do you most look forward to during Christmas? Make sure you’re fully present during these favourite moments. Whether it’s baking gingerbread cookies, decorating the Christmas tree or enjoying all the Christmas food – Be present. Don’t let these moments pass by in a blur. Try not to experience them through social media. Put your phone down.
- Write thank you notes to friends & family; express gratitude and share the things you love about them. It will most likely be greatly appreciated. And while you’re at it; don’t forget to write thank you notes to yourself ❤
- Go for a midnight walk while watching the stars. Enjoying a pitch-black sky with twinkling stars has a gently calming effect on the mood.
- Have a sauna (if you’ve the possibility). Sauna has a relaxing effect on the body, mind and soul. It will also help you calm down before bed, making you sleep like a baby.