‘Consistency is more important than perfection.’
Here is a list of small habits that will make your days more enjoyable, productive and mindful. Keep in mind that it takes approximately 21 days to form a new habit, therefore be consistent. Performing habits like these might not seem like a big deal, but it is usually the tiniest habits and routines that at the end of the day will have an huge impact. Like choosing a positive thought over a negative one, practising gratitude and drinking enough water.
- Wake up one hour earlier. If you’re not already waking up super early try to set your alarm one hour earlier than usual. Dedicate this extra time to yourself; enjoy your coffee, read something educational, practise yoga or take a morning walk. Getting ready for the day ahead in a calm and relaxed manner is a crucial step towards a more productive day. At least it will help you feel more in control, since having more time will make your morning less stressful, which in turn, will make your day less stressful. A study conducted by Dr. Joerg Huber of Roehampton University in London found that ”Morning people tend to be healthier and happier as well as having lower body mass indexes.” + During this precious morning time do not use your phone.
- Read a chapter every day. Whether it’s a novel, a self-development book, poetry or something educational – reading is always a good idea. It forces you to be in the moment, to unwind and stress down. Make reading a part of your morning routine and/or night-time routine.
- Choose positive thoughts. Become mindful of your thoughts and how they actually affect you. ”Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them.” – Eckhart Tolle. Do not judge yourself for having negative thoughts, simply notice them, and then let them go. Understand that they are only thoughts and that you hold the power to change them. Why even engage in negativity when you can choose to be positive? The decision is all yours. You have the power.
- Practise gratitude. When you focus on the things you have, rather than focusing on the things you do not have it creates more positivity. If you focus on all the love and support around you it will give you more love and support. A grateful heart is a magnet for more ❤ Write down 10 things every day that you are grateful for; it can be anything from clean water, a comfortable bed, a kind heart to a healthy, strong body.
- Spend time in nature. Sunlight. Fresh air. Calmness. Nature has a lot to offer. ”Isn’t our planet beautiful? Amazing even. We have high mountains to climb. Oceans to get lost in. Sandy beaches to marry. Forests to make us breathe more deeply. Soft snowflakes caressing our cheeks. She’s limitless and full of surprises. Let yourself become lost in her creativity.” – L.M.V
- Perform an act of kindness. Do something nice for someone else, every day. A random act of kindness can totally turn a person’s day around. And while you’re at it – be kind to yourself. Always be kind to yourself. Choose healthy, nutritious foods – because your body, mind and soul are worth it. Give yourself time to exercise – your body will thank you, and you will have more energy to do all the things you wish to do.
- Make time for the things you enjoy. If it so means that you have to get up one hour earlier. Dedicating time for the things you enjoy doing is crucial for your well-being. The days may be hectic and life is passing by in high-speed, but there is always time for the things you love. It is called prioritising.
- Always carry a water bottle with you. Dehydration is not fun; it makes you feel tired, sluggish and unfocused. Always make sure you bring your water bottle with you. Thirsty? Put down the soda and grab water. Your body is made up of 50-75 % water. You need to keep that water intake going for your body’s production. ”85 percent of your brain tissue is comprised of water, so if you’re dehydrated, your body and mind will both be stressed.”
- Learn to just be. Let yourself fully become one with the present moment. Usually this happens when you do the things you love. Hours pass by without you even noticing. For example I have become more aware of my surroundings when I go for a walk without my head phones on; It helps my mind to calm down and makes room for creative thoughts to enter.
- Be active in your everyday life. While it is important that you workout regularly it is crucial that you are active in your everyday life. Take a short walk during lunch-break, skip the elevator, buy a bicycle. If you have two legs make sure that you are using them. Be grateful for having two legs.